Header Emblem
Epsom College, 1914-1939
 
 

Olim meminisse iuvabit

 
 

Dropdown Menus in CSS Css3Menu.com

 

Naturally the period of the First World War was a very sad time for Epsom College. the death toll of 155 Old Epsomians bore particularly heavily on the new headmaster, Rev. Barton, whose boys had been brought up to loyalty and were determined to serve. Meanwhile in more material terms the College continued to attract pupils, the number of fee payers rising, while the Foundation bore the huge strain of war orphans.

The period immediately after the war was dominated by the economic dislocation that the loss of trade and inflation caused. Teachers wanted their pay to keep up, and this was the first period in which the College was forced to adapt. While masters and pupils turned out to defend the town during the 1926 General Strike, the College was suffering its own quiet revolution as numbers of fee payers were forced to rise, gradually forcing a more liberal curriculum. Success came through change, but also through the position of the College on the prosperous fringes of London, which grew to provide a fertile market for day pupils. Therefore this period showed both the development of two day houses, Rosebery and Crawfurd, and a considerable amount of building - the new chapel nave, new classroom blocks, new laboratories, new house accommodation, sports facilities and the College Store and Tuck Shop.

Academic success also came through the able headmastership of Rev. Arnold Powell, so that the inter-war years saw the College significantly strengthened, moving beyond the original conception of a school tied to the Medical Profession.